Welcome to the Classical Guitar Initiative.
Home of #SightReadDaily, and various other projects.
#SightReadDaily’s mission is to connect contemporary composers with guitarists all around the world in an innovative and collaborative environment.
Info, and Rules and Regulations below:
Here’s how the contest works:
- A fragment of a piece will be posted for free download Sunday, July 28th at 8:00 PM eastern U.S. time. Earlier submissions have increased chance of winning a prize!!
- Third run of the contest “Nostalgia” by Redi Marku download link is LIVE below NOW (SUBMISSIONS DUE BY August 11th, 8:00 pm eastern US time : http://bit.ly/2SMy2st
Second run of the contest – “Garden Steps” by Andrew York. Closes: June 21, 8:00 PM Eastern U.S. time. First run of the contest (Petite Waltz) CLOSES May 8th at 8:00PM Eastern time.
- Post a clip (or several to increase your chance on winning!) of you playing/reading the piece within the next two weeks and you have a chance of winning a prize from one or more of our 4 sponsors: D’Addario (3 sets of strings!), Strings by Mail ($15 gift card), Guitar Salon International (tote bag, nail file, CD), and Soundbrenner (20% off anything on their site!).
Contest 1 will start on Friday, April 26th at 8:00 PM Eastern U.S. time with a piece composed by Naxos recording artist Celil Refik Kaya titled “Petite Waltz”. Contest 2 will start on Friday, June 6th at 8:00 PM eastern U.S. time. with a piece composed by Grammy Award winner Andrew York titled “Garden Steps”.
An excerpt from the piece will be provided for free, and is to be used for posting to instagram for this contest!
“Nostalgia” by Redi Marku PDF DOWNLOAD LINK:
Contest #3 submissions due by August 11th, 8:00 PM Eastern U.S. time.
Of course, if you’re interested in purchasing the full piece (and supporting the composer!!), you can by visiting this link:
- Must use hashtag #sightreaddaily in your posts
- Must follow AND tag me- @evantaucher, the @sightreaddaily account, and this contest’s 4 sponsors @daddarioandco , @stringsbymail , @guitarsaloninternational , and @soundbrenner
- There are two ways to increase your chance of winning:
- Post as quickly in the week as possible (this helps the contest gain more visibility!)
- Post several times (showing yourself progressing through reading/learning the piece)
- The majority of the winners will be selected based on EFFORT, not necessarily SKILL, however, at least one of the prizes for each contest will be selected based off of interpretive quality judged by the composer (mixed with effort- don’t be afraid to get creative!)
- It is NOT necessary to be sight reading in your video in the true sense of the word, although do indicate if you are indeed reading it for the first time. You may choose to upload a video like that, then later show how you improved over time.
- There will be between 3-6 individual people given prizes at the end of the contest. How they are distributed is up to the composer and myself, and due to restraints, such as where the contestant is located.
- Open to anyone, anywhere in the world! Not all prizes can be delivered outside of the USA, but it is possible with at least two of our sponsored prizes!
- CLOSES June 21, 8:00 PM Eastern U.S. time. Submit before this date and time! Don’t forget – posting close to launch increases your chance of getting a prize (but doesn’t guarantee anything!)